9.24.2005

Review: The Corpse Bride



I know, I know. How surprising is it that I post a review of a movie starring Johnny Depp right after I post an admission of my man crush for him? Ah, so is life. Anyhoo, on with the review...

Let me start by saying that the art direction on this movie is astounding. The sets are beautifully eerie, and the puppets, while reminiscent of those from Burton's previous forray into stop-motion moviemaking (The Nightmare Before Christmas), surpsass Jack Skellington and company. At many points in the movie, you'll find yourself thinking, "This has to be computer-generated!"

But, alas, the art direction is the best aspect of the movie. That's not to say that the movie as a whole is bad, though. It does have its moments.

Victor (voiced by Depp) is the only son of the Van Dort family, members of the nouveau riche. As the movie opens, we learn that the next day he is to be married to Victoria (Emily Watson), daughter of the once-rich-but-now-poor Everglots; for her parents, the marriage is a means of regaining the wealth they somehow lost. Victor, nervous about his upcoming nuptials, escapes to the nearby creepy forest to practice his vows and while doing so mistakenly marries the Corpse Bride (Helena Bonham Carter).

It is at this point in the movie that the narrative becomes strained, as if Burton (and other writers, including John August, screenwriter of Big Fish) couldn't think of much more of a story. Some sight gags and other jokes at the expense of the ghouls that inhabit the land of the dead seem as though they were included simply to fill time. If this were a short film, say a third of the length, it would benefit from the tightening of the narrative.

The songs also feel included to mostly stretch out the movie into a full-length feature. The best song is the opening number, which is sad to say, since musically it means that it's "all downhill from there" (except, of course, for Danny Elfman's score - Burton and Elfman, a marriage made in some creepy Burtonesque netherworld). I was waiting for some of those great memorable numbers, a la Nightmare, but they never came.

All of this sounds as if I hated the movie, but that's far from the truth. It's just that I've been waiting for another Burton puppet movie for over ten years, so this movie has some big shoes to fill. It's still a great movie to see, if only for the spectacle.

Grade: B+

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

Scooch you're commentaries may only be worth a million dollars to the rest of the world, but to me, they're worthless...

I love it! Thanks for your insight, and please review every movie you go see (I'll do the same, but mine won't sound as good cause I'm not a professional writer :), your reviews are really helpful to me because they come from a trusted source!

Mon Sep 26, 04:18:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

I'll do my best. Right now I'm working on a post about all the upcoming holiday movies. Keep an eye out for it.

Wed Sep 28, 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger jenk said...

i want to see it. i sort of have a thing for movies and tv shows about death. which i guess you know.

Wed Sep 28, 08:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home