9.29.2005

Coldplay: Philips Arena - 9.28.05


I saw Coldplay in concert last night. This was the second time I've seen them live; well, third if you count the time I went to see them and the venue suddenly canceled the show due to inclimate weather, then Chris Martin and Jonny Buckland came out into the parkling lot for an impromtu acoustic performance of several songs, including "Georgia on My Mind."

This concert (at the Philips Arena) was better than the last. It rocked my face off. Literally. I have no face anymore. I'm looking into reconstructive surgery.

Anyway, they played a good mix of their old and new stuff. Some of my personal favorites were "Politik," "Yellow" (of course), "Talk," "Square One," "White Shadows," and "Don't Panic." They also covered "Ring of Fire," which was great.

The highlight of the show was when Michael Stipe (frontman of REM, for those of you who for some ungodly reason don't know) came on stage to sing "Nightswimming" while Chris played the piano. I think I passed out standing up.

Needless to say, the show was great. If you ever get the chance to see this band live, do it. Their music sounds great live (some bands tend to sound craptastic on stage, even if their albums are good), and you can really tell they love what they do and appreciate their fans.

And to top it all off, when I got home (at around two o'clock in the morning) I checked my email and found out a journal wants to publish a story of mine. Hip-hip-hooray!

5 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Another highlight:

When that girl behind us started talking loudly about how Chris Martin was SO HOT and how she loved her dad and mom... right in the middle of when Michael Stipe was singing "Nightswimming."

Thu Sep 29, 12:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so my comment sounded very angry, I'm not. But do call me when you are in Atlanta...duh.

love yall!

Fri Sep 30, 11:27:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

I know it's been a few days coming, but here's my list of top five concerts (no particular order):

1. Coldplay - most recent time
2. Smashing Pumpkins
3. Ben Folds - at the Roxy, anytime
4. Barenaked Ladies
5. Better Than Ezra - at the Roxy

(6. Radiohead)

Tue Oct 04, 10:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, Scoot, I think you're forgetting a very impressive concert by a certain band named Third Day. I remember it like it was yesterday... the rain, the three songs, the meager crowd... ahhh, memories.

Tue Oct 04, 03:15:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

And how I said, "Third Day... more like Third Song!" Everyone laughed.

Flash forward to four years later... I find out that Josh Hughes (no relation, thank God) has been claiming the joke as his own for the past four years.

Tue Oct 04, 03:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home