10.18.2005

Worst Movies Ever or Guilty Pleasures?


Admit it: If you own a lot of movies (or maybe even just a few), somewhere amongst your collection, or perhaps hidden away in the dusty confines of a sock drawer, are movies you're ashamed to love.

Now, I'm not referring to those movies that many people would consider, while cheesey, still good movies (i.e. Dirty Dancing or Ghost). I'm talking about movies of the SuperBabies: Baby Geniuses 2 variety. Movies so bad that the DVD actually stinks a little, movies that your DVD player sometimes refuses to play, movies that have nearly melted those who've watched them (much like that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark). Those movies.

Do you love Manos the Hands of Fate? Santa Claus Conquers the Martians maybe? Or does Glitter float your guilty boat?

Some of my favorite awful movies include, but are certainly not limited to:

* From Justin to Kelly - This movie musical is just too hokey to miss. And on top of the horrible lines, horrendous acting, and craptacular songs, this movie takes itself seriously.

Best moment: The one actually funny line in the whole movie occurs when Kelly tells Justin to sneak out of a restroom window, to which he replies, "My hair won't even fit through that."

* Gigli - Not only is this one of the worst movies, it is probably one of the worst titles ever. Amazingly, there is one thing about the movie that trumps the trainwreck that is Bennifer - the guy who plays the mentally challenged character Brian. He laughs, he raps, he loves Baywatch; and he plays his "handicap" differently in each scene. One minute he'll be mildly retarded, then the next he's severely Autistic like Rain Man, then he'll be completely normal.

Best moment: When Ben Affleck cuts off a dead guy's finger with a flimsy plastic knife.

* Piranha Part Two: The Spawning - One night a couple of friends and I had a total Mystery Science Theater 3000 moment with this one. Usually when you try to make funny comments about a movie you just end up sounding like a bunch of asses, but this movie was such an easy target.

Best moment: When a guy swims underwater for about thirty minutes on one breath.

* Leonard Part 6 - The Cos at his best/worst. It's great that there are no Leonards 1 through 5; that just adds to the suckiness.

Best moment: The climax of the movie when the Cos, decked out in his silver suit and quasi-futuristic helmet, rides an ostrich out of an exploding building.

So let me know of your guilty pleasure movies. (Note: The Internet Movie Database has a list of these types of movies called the Bottom 100.)

9 Comments:

Blogger mrs the experience said...

Showgirls. I am sorry. Showgirls.

Tue Oct 18, 02:09:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Don't be sorry. Showgirls is great (in the context of this post, of course). All the shouting, crying, overacting.

My favorite part was when Nomi (wasn't that her name?) was eating french fries and got really angry.

Tue Oct 18, 02:19:00 PM  
Blogger CanaGal said...

Mask. I especially love it when Cher is placing tacks in the map, crying "You can go anywhere now, baby"

Tue Oct 18, 05:43:00 PM  
Blogger Nunzia said...

haha the first part of overcoming a problem is admitting it. Thanks for your honesty!

Tue Oct 18, 07:57:00 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Yes, Sara. I remember the hovercraft duel in From Justin to Kelly. It's also one of mine and Jonathan's favorite scenes - we still affectionately refer to each other as "hover-dudes" quite often.

As for Canagal, that movie Mask was one of those that gave me nightmares as a kid (Eric Stoltz's whole too-much-face thing, which I guess is the point of the movie). And there was this other movie, too - I think it was called Ratboy.

And, yes, Nunzia, liking (and viewing repeatedly) horrible movies is a terrible thing... but (to quote somebody) if it's wrong, baby, I don't wanna be right.

Tue Oct 18, 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

yo hoverdude, I'm so glad we shared that night with Justin & Kelly when sara was gone! :)

Apparently Elizabethtown is quickly approaching this list, to my misfortune. I loved it.

I would also put Last Action Hero in this category (or for that matter, just about anything with Arnold in it): I didn't like it, but it was so bad that I could watch it over and over.

Wed Oct 19, 05:00:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Except for there are some great Ah-nold movies: Predator, Terminators 1 & 2... ah, that's about it. And maybe the Conan movies.

But I don't think Elizabeth town comes anywhere close to the depths of suckiness of the "terrible movie" variety.

Wed Oct 19, 07:54:00 AM  
Blogger mrs the experience said...

Oh, I thought of another:

The Electric Grandmother

Wed Oct 19, 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Flight of the Navigator is pretty cheesey-bad, but I don't know if it was ultra-horrendous. I actually liked it, and not in an ashamed kind of way. DARYL was also one of my favorite movies as a kid. I loved when he flew that fighter jet.

Fri Oct 21, 07:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home